Sunday, September 13, 2020

ROLLING RIGHT ALONG

We’ve been on the road now for 3 weeks so I figured it was time for a post.  We haven’t had any adventures so to speak, it’s been pretty calm.  But here’s an update.  We left San Diego at oh dark thirty (4:30) and headed up I-15 with our first stop in Beaver, Utah.  Our usual overnight when we are heading north.  After the first day we tend to slow down.  Our first real stop for a couple of nights was at Payson Lakes, just outside of Provo, Utah in the Wasatch Mountains.  Nice forest service campground with space available durning the week.  Weekends it’s booked solid.  Nice and cool at 8500 feet while the valley below was in the high 90’s




PAYSON LAKE SUNRISE


Most of you that have and experience with RV’s are familiar with Day/Night Shades.  Most RV’s come with them.  Over time the interior strings that make them go up and down wear out.  Ever try to re-string them?  Well, don’t.  An almost impossible job.  Over the last couple of years we’ve replaced them with residential shades that you can purchase at your local Home Depot.  Of course the old shades usually fail when in use, like on a trip.  So a trip was in store to Home Depot.  I spent and afternoon replacing shades.  I was under the impression the we were on a vacation.  Anyway the shades a great improvement over the old.


Continuing north, we took the scenic route over the Unita Mountains where we boon-docked for a couple of nights.  We had been here in the Spring staying with a friend who has a cabin nearby.  Spied lots of deer plus a moose in the meadow next to our camp.  Also took the opportunity get the kayak wet in one of the many lakes.  Beautiful country which I am sure we will return to.




PADDLE IN THE UNITAS


I hadn’t planned on doing any hunting on this trip, but it seems some mice had taken up residence in our RV.  Probably would have left them alone, but asking me to move my feet out of the way when crossing the floor was just too much.  So I got out the traps, shared some of my peanut butter and the hunt was on.  In three days I had bagged 9 of the little buggers, which seems to have eliminated the entire family.  Pretty sure they traveled with us from home, entering the RV via the power cable.




BAGGED THESE THREE IN AN AFTERNOON


Our next stop was in Twin Falls, Idaho where we stayed in a nice country park, Rock Creek RV Park.  About 20 sites, first come, first serve, for $20.  A park right in town in the bottom of a gorge with Rock Creek rushing by.  It is here in Twin Falls where the Salmon river cuts a deep gorge through the volcanic rock.  Spectacular view of water falls and the river below.  There’ even one you can walk behind.  Early one morning I took a bike ride along the gorge on a beautiful paved bike path which follows the south rim for 8 miles.  A great way to watch the sun rise.











While on the bike ride I noticed Elevation 486 a restaurant with outside seating with views of the gorge.  So I convinced Cathie that we should go there for happy-hour.  When we arrived, there was a 30 minute wait for a view table.  Hey, we go time so we waited.  When we were seated, our table had been taken by some interlopers who bypassed the hostess.  The staff made no attempt to re-seat them at an inferior table which we got instead.  Now I usually don’t complain, but when we got our bill, I asked to see the manager.  She was very apologetic agreeing that they screwed up.  To make it up to us, she invited us to return for dinner on her, with the best table on the patio.  We had a great slow and enjoyable meal, so sometimes it pays to speak up.  Great food and views as the sun went down.  Thank you Rhonda.

Elevation 486






Continuing towards Northern Montana via Idaho, we happened on a gem of an RV park in Riggins, Idaho.  Riverside RV Park is small with only 15 spaces.  What it lacks in size is far outweighed by it’s location.  Most all the sights are right on the Little Salmon River.  Step out your door, put your chair out on the lawn, and watch the river rushing by.  It would have been nice to go to sleep with the sound of the river, but the air conditioner drowned it out.  It was hot mind you.

Riverside RV Park






I did manage to get a hike in, beating the heat by leaving early.  What follows is what I posted on Facebook, so some of your might have seen it.


So I wanted to take a hike so I asked a local about the Rapid River Trail.  He tells me it’s a nice trail, but adds, “watch out for the rattlesnakes, lots of rattlesnakes”...I’m scared of rattlesnakes.  So I figure I’ll go early when it’s still cold and before they get look’n for food.  So I walk about 5 miles and never once did I see a rattlesnake.  Then I’m walking along and I got to thinking, maybe the rattlesnakes see me...or some other critter sees me.  Perhaps a deer, hey is that bear shit?  Are the bears watching me.  What about mountain lions.  Could be a number of dangerous animals out there watching me.  I did finally see a deer, but on closer inspection it was a log.  Finally I did see some other life on the trail and he offered me some of his jerky...nice fella.












I am about a week behind on the blog, we’ll try catching up next week.  So stay tuned.....



1 comment:

Dibb Family said...

Good one at the end! He goes by Darryl I think I've heard.

Wow, some great camping. Can't wait till we can get out.