Thursday, August 04, 2011

BACK TO THE SIERRAS

After being the the Eastern Sierras a couple of weeks ago, I got the bug for some more hiking.  This time Cathie didn't catch the same bug and she opted to stay home.

I left early Sunday morning hoping to be able to compete a short hike in the afternoon.  As I was driving out of San Diego, it started raining and continued off and on for most of the five hour drive to Lone Pine.  After lunch in town I continued on the the trail head at Horseshoe Meadows which is the starting point for several hikes into the Sierras.  It is from here that many start their hike to Mt Whitney, the longer of the two main routes to the summit.  This was not my intent as I have little desire to spend two to three nights backpacking to reach the summit. My horizons were set somewhat lower, in elevation that is.

When I reached Horseshoe Meadows, it was raining, so I sat in the car and read a book for a while.  Finally the rain let up some so I dawned a rain coat and took a short walk out into the meadow. This is really a beautiful spot at just under 10,000 feet, it is surrounded by high peaks all around.  As it got dark, the sky cleared, so I was hoping for good weather in the morning.
I spent a cold and uncomfortable night in the car mainly to get acclimated to the elevation.  I was awake as it started getting light, an being pretty cold, it got into the 30's, I got up, made coffee and oatmeal and hit the trail by 6:30.


I headed out to Cottonwood lakes, a series of lakes at just over 11,000 ft and just below the Sierra crest.  Because of my early start I saw no one for the six miles to the lakes.  The lakes here are numbered one thru six and are the home to native Golden Trout.  The fishing rules are strict, only catch and release with barbless hooks.  I didn't do any fishing, just enjoyed the magnificent views and the solitude.

Even though I had my new GPS, it was nice to get conformation that I was on the right path.  Actually the trails are pretty well marked and maintained.  With the heavy snowfall this winter all the streams are going full force and some stream crossing can be problematic. Also all the water means lots of mosquitoes.  If you stopped moving, they found you.  Good thing for Deet.


 

First view of one of the lakes with Cirque Peak (12,525) in the background.

  Cottonwood lake Number Three

Looking north across Cottonwood Lake #3.  The snow covered peak in the background is Mt, Whitney.
LOTS OF WATER

On the return trip to the trail head I saw plenty of day hikers and backpackers, so it wasn't lonely on the trail.  I completed the 12 mile loop returning to the trail head around 1:30.  Upon returning to the car, I made a wise choice and drove into Lone Pine and got a motel room.  So much for roughing it.

The next morning I drove back to the trail head arriving about 6:30.  The plan, hike up Trail Peak (11,605ft).

   TRAIL PEAK

A nice walk across the meadow and then an easy uphill climb to Trail Pass.  From there, it's pretty much uphill and steep.

First you must pick your way though and around boulders and trees until reaching the tree line.  After that the climb continues up but with fewer obstacles.
NEAT TREE STUMP


ALMOST THERE

MADE IT!

I don't know who put that telephone pole there or why, but the main question is how?  Helicopter is my best guess.  From the summit the views were superb in all directions.  After 30 minutes on the summit, I headed back to the car.  Total hiking time was just under 2.5 hours.

SOME OF THE VIEWS

HORSESHOE MEADOWS WITH OWENS VALLEY BEYOND

MT. WHITNEY

LOOKING SOUTH




ON THE WAY BACK DOWN


Of course after hiking up Trail Peak, I built up a healthy appetite, so a stop at the Alabama Hills Cafe and Bakery in Lone Pine was in order.  Two great hikes completed, I'll definitely be back for more.

2 comments:

Julie Camacho said...

Told you it would be cold!!

Nick Saraceni said...

Beautiful Country. The reference to the restaurant made me hungry so I went out and had pancakes.