Monday, July 04, 2011

ABOARD THE USS MIDWAY



Sometime ago, I posted about volunteering on the USS Midway, a retired aircraft carrier, turned museum on San Diego Bay.  I continue working there several days a week when we're in town.  To date I've logged a little over 1000 hours on board and continue to enjoy my time spent there.  I work with the Safety Team, responsible for the safety of guests and employees on the ship.  If you've never paid a visit, I recommend that you do. Since becoming a museum over 6 million folks have been aboard and toured various areas both above and below decks.


SAFETY TEAM BRIEFING

MORNING LINEUP FOR TICKETS


BELOW DECKS

Here are a few facts about the Midway:

$90 million to build in 1945
2,000 feet of anchor chain
20 ton anchors
1,500 telephones
1,001 feet long
4-18 foot tall propellers
18 decks
3.4 million gallon fuel capacity
100,000 gallons used daily
260 gallons per mile
4500 crew members who ate:
10 tons of food each day
13,500 meals served each day
3,000 potatoes daily
1,000 loaves of bread daily
4,500 lbs. of beef when served
500 pies when served


Besides the normal day to day operation of a museum, the ship is used as a venue for parties, banquets, high school proms, and even weddings.  The other night the ship hosted "movie night" and was open for all comers free of charge.  We host many military events, such as retirements, promotions and re-enlistments.


OPERATION THIN MINT

ON OCCASION THE FLIGHT DECK IS STILL USED


RAFT-UP FOR THE AIR RACES

ANAHEIM PD MOTOR UNIT




ALEXANDRIA, MINNESOTA H.S. MARCHING BAND

So you see all kinds of things go on aboard the Midway.  Come on down a pay us a visit.  If you know me, drop me a line and I'll see about free tickets.





1 comment:

Nick Saraceni said...

I think it's great you're spending time with them. It's probably a good idea to keep you busy. You know, "Idle hands..."